THE SACRISTY AND THE TWO SIDE ALTARS
The sacristy is an impressive structure, in Renaissance style. With a ribbed vault, it is rich in “grotesque” decorations, attributed to the second half of the sixteenth century. The seventeenth century canvas portraying St Augustine conversing with St Jerome is of considerable importance. The two marble altars are by the sculptor Giovanni Scapolla, native of Pavia. One is dedicated to St Rita and dates to 1940. The other, dedicated to the Sacred Heart, is of 1963. Recalled after a century of absence, since 1900 the Augustinian Fathers live beside the Basilica which they officiate watching over and honouring the bones of their great Founder.